The story began in the middle of the 16th century when Jaume Codorníu, an owner of vineyards and agricultural equipment, decided to make wine.
For the last five centuries, Codorníu has been closely involved with wine development. In 1895, the direction of the family business changed as it devoted itself wholly to the production of Cava. Today, it is the symbol and nerve centre of the Codorníu Raventos family brand.
The first historical reference is found in the will of Jaume, the pioneer of Codorníu, when he proudly mentions the importance of his vineyard and the equipment used in tending the vines. The next milestone dates from 1659 when a young lady named Anna Codorníu, heir to the property of Cava Codorníu, married winegrower Miquel Raventós. Since then, the Raventós family has been the owner of Codorníu, however Anna’s surname has been retained as a prestigious international brand name.
Two centuries later Josep Raventós Fatjó was born and began to write the story of Cava. After his death in 1885, Manuel Raventós inherited Cava Codorníu and, like his father, altered the direction of the family business to be completely devoted to making Cava. He built a large winery in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia and Codorníu began producing 100,000 bottles of Cava annually. With demand increasing, construction of a new winery began. The work extended over 20 years – from 1895 to 1915 – and as a result, a notable work of art was born. In time, it came to be known as the Cathedral of Cava.
Today, Codorníu is the leading producer of Spanish Cava and is run by a seventeenth-generation member of the Codorníu family. In addition to the Cava business, Codorníu now owns 11 wineries around the world.
Can't find what you're looking for?
See more about this brand.